We LOVE making our own flax seed crackers and you can control the amount of heat or salt you want to put in them.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups of whole flax seeds (try and get organic if possible)
- Approximately 2 cups of water
- ¼ cup tamari or Braggs or soy sauce (optional, we don’t use this but its yummy)
- Sea salt to taste (only add if you aren’t using the above)
- 1 TB fresh herbs or whatever you have in your pantry
In a large bowl cover the flax seeds with water and let them soap for at least 2 hours. It will become quite gelatinous. We sometimes put half the seeds in a high speed blender just to add some variety to the mix.
You want the seeds gooey and runny not a thick clump (ask me how I know this :)
Add seasonings, herbs or salt. Feel free to add some lemon or lime juice, some heat (hot pepper sauce etc.)
Take a couple of spoonfuls and spread it thin (1/8”) on a pan or a dehydrator sheet.
Set your dehydrator or stove to 100 degree F for about 4-6 hours.
Check them after 4 hours and flip them over to get both sides crispy. Break or slice into pieces, store in a plastic container. Spread with humous, avocado or omit all the savoury flavourings and top with nut butter and jam.