It's been pretty hot here on Vancouver Island this summer and you know those muggy days where you just don't feel like eating much. Lately I've been craving lighter vegetarian meals so I was thrilled when Caron (the other bloom and my sister) found this divine vegan recipe. We had it earlier this week and it is one of my new favourites.
Here is what you'll need for the noodle part:
- 2 zucchinis (spiralized see below)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded & sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (Reserve before serving)
- some lime wedges for serving (optional)
- 2 TBSP rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1-2 TBSP fish sauce
- 2 TBSP ketchup
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 TBSP toasted sesame seeds (add before serving)
- Get Your Zucchini and use a Spiralizer or veggie Peeler
- Put a TBSP of Olive in the pan and add heat to cook
- Add your garlic, pepper, green onions & bean sprouts and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until done
- While you are waiting prepare your sauce & toast your sesame seeds
- Once your veggies are cooked pour into bowl and add sauce
- Before serving add your toasted sesame seeds and cashews and serve
- We pan fried our noodles right before serving for 3 minutes but next time we'll use them raw, heating them made them a little mushy but still very good.
For other variations add: meat, chicken or tofu.
You now have a recipe that will impress your family/guests. Let me know in the comments if you try it out.