Day 2 of the 30 Day Blog Challenge
You know the mornings when you wake up and you have no idea what to eat for breakfast? Or you go through your list of breakfast ideas you’ve made in the past and nothing appeals to you? On this particular day you have lots to get done but just aren’t in the mood to do much but sit back read magazines, watch TV or go for a nice long walk? Well, wonder no more!! This breakfast or anytime of day meal is perfect. It’s light, healthy and will give you a nice boost of energy. I thought about using a recipe for this quick shake but often I love just throwing a bunch of things together and creating my own version.
You will need a blender to make this drink or one of those smaller bullet mixers. I’m using a Vitamix. I’ve included some ingredients that can be swapped out.
Blueberry Perk Me Up Shake
- 1 ½ cup of Almond Milk (sub any type of milk here like Hemp, Rice, coconut or regular milk)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 TBSP + 2 tsp of raw cocoa nibs (you can sub this for cocoa powder)
- 1 tsp of pure Vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp of Coffee extract (you can leave this out or use Caramel flavouring)
- 1/2 cup of blueberries (other fruits may be used: peaches, pineapple, cherries, strawberries, kiwis (really whatever you have on hand)
- 1/2 banana (if you are diabetic I would omit this and use lower sugar fruits mentioned above)
- 2 Medjool dates (these can be left out and you can add more maple syrup)
- 1 TBSP hemp hearts
- 1 TBSP nut butter of your choice (I like almond or if you want to keep it nut free use a seed butter like sunflower) As a side note you can make your own nut butters if you have nuts or seeds: just add some nuts and a bit of oil to your blender and blend or pulse your nuts in a grinder first then add some oil to mix.
- dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 TBSP maple syrup (agave or stevia would also work) -this is optional but I like my shakes sweet tasting)
- pinch of Himalayan salt
Pop everything in the blender and blend on high for a minute or so until it’s all nice and smooth. Pour into a nice tall glass and add ice if you’d like. For a fancy touch, dip the rim glass in water and then dip into a dish of coconut flakes or cinnamon and sugar. :)
This shake will leave you feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the day.
If you try this recipe I’d love to hear from you in the comments below. What are your favourite quick recipes?